Definition of rattlesnake master
: a perennial herb (Eryngium yuccifolium) of the carrot family native to the eastern half of the U.S. that has a basal rosette of bluish-green, fibrous, parallel-veined, swordlike leaves that may reach a length of 30 inches (76 centimeters) and small, greenish-white flowers clustered in dense flower heads resembling thistle : button snakeroot sense 2
Note: The sap of rattlesnake master was once thought to prevent snake bites.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game