rattle aroundphrasal verb
rattled around; rattling around; rattles around
Definition of rattle around
: to live or spend time in a place that is very big Her husband died last year, and now she's just rattling around in that huge house by herself. We rattled around Europe last summer. —sometimes used figuratively An old song has been rattling around in my head all day.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game