Definition of rathole
1a : a rat's burrow
b : a hole gnawed by a rat
2a : a narrow opening, tunnel, or passageway
b : a cramped space (as for storage or living quarters) especially : one that is oppressive or filthy cooped up in a rathole like this — Jack Ward
3 : a seemingly bottomless or unfillable hole his last pile of money … went down the rathole when he tried to save an old friend from bankruptcy— Stanley Walker
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?