variants: or rat-tailed maggot
Definition of rat-tailed larva
: the larva of a syrphid fly of Eristalis or related genera that is remarkable for the long telescopic tubular tail with spiracles at the tip through which air is brought down from above the mud or putrefying matter in which the larva lives
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game