rarely/seldom if everidiom
Definition of rarely/seldom if ever
—used as a more forceful way to say "rarely" or "seldom" I have seldom if ever been so embarrassed.
Note: Rarely if ever and seldom if ever can be written both with or without commasSuch radical opinions have rarely, if ever, been heard here before. She rarely if ever sings anymore.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game