rarely/seldom if everidiom
Definition of rarely/seldom if ever
—used as a more forceful way to say "rarely" or "seldom" I have seldom if ever been so embarrassed.
Note: Rarely if ever and seldom if ever can be written both with or without commasSuch radical opinions have rarely, if ever, been heard here before. She rarely if ever sings anymore.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game