range crane flynoun
Definition of range crane fly
: a grayish brown crane fly (Tipula simplex) with a wingless female and a pale brown burrowing larva that emerges from the ground at night or on dull days to feed on green vegetation and is sometimes very destructive to grasslands grain crops in the southwestern U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game