range crane flynoun
Definition of range crane fly
: a grayish brown crane fly (Tipula simplex) with a wingless female and a pale brown burrowing larva that emerges from the ground at night or on dull days to feed on green vegetation and is sometimes very destructive to grasslands grain crops in the southwestern U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game