Definition of rail clip
1 : a metal plate projecting over the base of a rail for bolting the rail to its support
2 : an anchor for fastening the rear of a derrick car or a crane to the rails of a track to keep the crane from tipping while lifting a heavy load
3 : a metal support bolted or clamped to a rail for carrying a detector bar
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game