Definition of rail clip
1 : a metal plate projecting over the base of a rail for bolting the rail to its support
2 : an anchor for fastening the rear of a derrick car or a crane to the rails of a track to keep the crane from tipping while lifting a heavy load
3 : a metal support bolted or clamped to a rail for carrying a detector bar
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game