Definition of racemic acid
: optically inactive tartaric acid that consists of equal parts of dextro- and levo- tartaric acids into which it can be separated, is often found with dextro-tartaric acid in the juice of grapes, and is formed by oxidation of mannitol or dulcitol and in other ways
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game