rück·umlaut | \ ˈrᵫk+ˌ-\
Definition of rückumlaut
: the absence of umlaut of the stem vowel in the past tense and past participle of some Germanic weak verbs as a result of the loss of i in the following syllable before the umlaut period
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game