\ ˈkant, ˈkaⁿt \
Definition of quinte
1 : a parry with a foil or épée that defends the lower inside target with the hand to the left at waist height in a position of pronation with the tip of the blade higher than the hand — compare septime
2 : a parry with a saber that protects the head with the hand and forearm raised above the head and the hand held to the right in a position of pronation with the point of the blade to the left and higher than the hand
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game