Definition of quill drive
: a drive used on electric locomotives in which the motors are mounted on a nonrotatable quill that surrounds the axle of the driving wheels and which transmits power to the wheels by means of pins on the armature structure that engage the spokes of the driving wheels
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game