quiet downphrasal verb
Definition of quiet down
: to become quiet or quieter : to become calmer or less noisy The children started to quiet down after dinner. He told the crowd to quiet down. Things are quieting down in town.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game