queen's crape myrtlenoun
variants: or less commonly queen crape myrtle
Definition of queen's crape myrtle
: a deciduous tree (Lagerstroemia speciosa) native to tropical Asia that has oval to oblong leathery leaves, showy usually pink to purple flowers borne in large clusters, and reddish brown smooth moderately hard durable wood
Note: The queen's crape myrtle is often grown in warm regions as an ornamental tree.The queen's crape myrtle, L. speciosa, is a tall tree with hefty spikes of flowers in June and July. … In the fall, the robust leaves turn vivid red and fall after cold spells.— James Watson, Miami (Florida) Herald, 27 May 1990 Unusual tropicals include … a queen crape myrtle with huge lilac clusters and orchids hanging from trees and on the fence.— Bette Smith, St. Petersburg (Florida) Times, 20 Aug. 1993
— called also banaba, pride of India
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?