Definition of quadrant electrometer
: a sensitive electrometer consisting of a needle independently charged and suspended within a flat cylindrical metal box divided into four quadrants, those diametrically opposite being connected to each other and each pair being connected to one of two bodies whose potential difference is to be measured by means of the deflection of the needle toward one pair of quadrants through an angle approximately proportional to the difference of potential
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game