Definition of quadrant electrometer
: a sensitive electrometer consisting of a needle independently charged and suspended within a flat cylindrical metal box divided into four quadrants, those diametrically opposite being connected to each other and each pair being connected to one of two bodies whose potential difference is to be measured by means of the deflection of the needle toward one pair of quadrants through an angle approximately proportional to the difference of potential
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game