py·roph·o·rus | \ pīˈräfərəs\
Definition of pyrophorus
1 plural pyrophori : any of several substances or mixtures (as a carbonized mixture of alum and sugar, or finely divided lead or iron) that ignite spontaneously on exposure to air
2 capitalized : a genus of large tropical American beetles (family Elateridae) bearing a pair of large luminous organs on the prothorax — see fire beetle
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game