variants: or pyro-
Definition of pyr-
1 : fire : heat pyrometer pyrheliometer
2a : produced by or as if by the action of heat pyroelectricity
b : derived from a corresponding ortho acid by loss usually of one molecule of water from two molecules of acid pyrophosphoric acid
3 : fever pyrogenic
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game