put up or shut upidiom
Definition of put up or shut up
—used to tell someone in a somewhat rude way to start doing something or to stop talking about it You've complained long enough. It's time to put up or shut up.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game