put the lid onidiom
Definition of put the lid on
1 : to bring an end to (something) The new official vowed that he would put the lid on violence once and for all.
2 chiefly British : to spoil (plans) The rain has really put the lid on our holiday plans.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game