put one's foot in itidiom
Definition of put one's foot in it
: to say something that causes someone to be embarrassed, upset, or hurt especially when the speaker did not expect that reaction I really put my foot in it when I asked her about her job. I didn't know she had just been fired.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game