put one's foot in itidiom
Definition of put one's foot in it
: to say something that causes someone to be embarrassed, upset, or hurt especially when the speaker did not expect that reaction I really put my foot in it when I asked her about her job. I didn't know she had just been fired.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game