put one's best foot forwardidiom
Definition of put one's best foot forward
1 US : to behave very well in order to gain someone's approval When I visited my girlfriend's parents I tried to be very polite and put my best foot forward.
2 British : to try as hard as possible to do something difficult I've got to put my best foot forward to meet this deadline.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game