put (someone or something) to the testidiom
Definition of put (someone or something) to the test
: to cause (someone or something) to be in a situation that shows how strong, good, etc., that person or thing really is Tomorrow's game will really put the team to the test. We decided to put the theory to the test with a little experiment.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game