put (one's) money onidiom
Definition of put (one's) money on
: to bet on (something or someone) Everyone there put their money on the underdog. —often used to say that one feels very sure that something is true, will happen, etc. It's going to rain tomorrow. I'd put money on it.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game