put (someone or something) to the testidiom
Definition of put (someone or something) to the test
: to cause (someone or something) to be in a situation that shows how strong, good, etc., that person or thing really is Tomorrow's game will really put the team to the test. We decided to put the theory to the test with a little experiment.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game