push one's buttonsidiom
Definition of push one's buttons
: to do or say something just to make someone angry or upset Don't pay any attention to her. She's just trying to push your buttons. Even though they're both adults now, Rita's brother still knows how to push her buttons.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?