variants: or purple-fringed orchis
Definition of purple-fringed orchid
: either of two orchids of the genus Habenaria with the lip deeply cleft into three lobes and usually fringed and lacerate:
a : a North American orchid (H. psycodes) with fragrant purplish-fringed flowers
b : a closely related orchid (H. fimbriata) with larger paler flowers
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game