Definition of purple swamphen
: a large purplish-blue bird (Porphyrio porphyrio of the family Rallidae) that is native to warmer parts of the Old World and typically frequents wet areas and that has long red legs and a thick red bill Spring rain has brought the purple swamphens to the region's roadsides. The bird, which looks like a purple chicken, darts along the side of the road waiting for an opportunity to cross. — The Newcastle (Australia) Herald, 2 Nov. 2010 … out to kill exotic purple swamphens—colorful, nonnative birds that infest a network of stormwater treatment areas constructed by the South Florida Water Management District …— Sue Cocking, The Miami Herald, 16 Dec. 2010
— called also purple gallinule
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary in April 2019
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 4/19/19
- Aww it's So 'Adorkable'
- 'MacGyver': The Verb
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game