pumping of the barometer
Definition of pumping of the barometer
: a rather rapid rise and fall of the column of the mercurial barometer due to inertia attending changes in the rate of vertical motion : a corresponding oscillation of the index of the aneroid barometer or of the recording pen of the barograph due to various causes (as change of pressure)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game