Definition of psilophyte
: any of a division (Psilophyta) of simple dichotomously branched plants that first appeared during the Late Silurian, are now limited to two extant genera, lack true leaves and roots, and include the oldest known land plants with vascular tissue
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?