pryt·a·ne·um | \ ˌpritᵊnˈēəm\
Definition of prytaneum
: a public building or hall in an ancient Greek city containing the state hearth and serving as the place of meeting and dining for the prytanes and sometimes of official hospitality for distinguished citizens and visitors
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game