provide forphrasal verb
provided for; providing for; provides for
Definition of provide for
1 : to cause (something) to be available or to happen in the future The contract provides for 10 paid holidays. The law provides for the appointment of a new official.
2 : to supply what is needed for (something or someone) It's hard to make enough money to provide for such a large family. They agreed to provide for the child's education.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game