provide forphrasal verb
provided for; providing for; provides for
Definition of provide for
1 : to cause (something) to be available or to happen in the future The contract provides for 10 paid holidays. The law provides for the appointment of a new official.
2 : to supply what is needed for (something or someone) It's hard to make enough money to provide for such a large family. They agreed to provide for the child's education.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game