prove upintransitive verb
Definition of prove up
1 : to measure up to expectations : turn out well : prove out the spots where these prospector dreams proved up — American Guide Series: Arizona
2 : to bring proof of one's right to something specifically : to show that the requirements for receiving a patent for government land have been satisfied
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?