prove upintransitive verb
Definition of prove up
1 : to measure up to expectations : turn out well : prove out the spots where these prospector dreams proved up — American Guide Series: Arizona
2 : to bring proof of one's right to something specifically : to show that the requirements for receiving a patent for government land have been satisfied
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game