Definition of protected state
: an internationally recognized state under the protection of another usually larger and more powerful state specifically : a state having a relatively stable and traditional government that has entered into treaty relations with the British Crown to avail itself of British protection and that while giving the British government certain rights and responsibilities usually retains supervision of its domestic affairs while placing its foreign relations under British control the two British Settlements and the nine protected states which together form the Federation of Malaya — M. E. Cooper — compare protectorate
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game