Definition of proprietary company
1 : a corporation owning all or a controlling number of the shares of another corporation
2 : a company owning land that it leases or sells to other corporations
3 British : a privately owned company the shares of which are not offered to the public : close corporation
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game