prop upphrasal verb
propped up; propping up; props up
Definition of prop up
1 : to stop (something) from falling or slipping by placing something under or against it We propped up the beams with long boards. propped the plant stems up
2 : to give help, encouragement, or support to (someone) His faith propped him up in times of crisis.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game