promise (someone) the stars/moon/earth/worldidiom
Definition of promise (someone) the stars/moon/earth/world
: to promise (someone) that one will do or give something great or wonderful even though it is not possible He promised her the stars and the moon, so she married him. Politicians will promise the earth when they're trying to get elected.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?