Definition of prismatic layer
1 or less commonly prismatic tissue : a layer of secondary tissue developed internally by the cambium of some lycopods (as the quillworts) and interpreted as xylem, phloem, or both
2 : the middle layer of the shell of a mollusk consisting essentially of calcium carbonate arranged in prisms
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game