Definition of principal section
1 : a plane passing through the optical axis of a crystal specifically : the principal plane that contains either the wave normal or the ray of light under discussion
2 : a plane perpendicular to the edge of an optical prism
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game