prin·ceps | \ ˈprinˌseps, -iŋˌke-\
plural principes\ -n(t)səˌpēz , -ŋkəˌpās \
Definition of princeps
: one that is first: such as
a : the head of the state under the Roman Empire
b : any of various chief officials (as the headman of a tribe) among the ancient Teutons and Anglo-Saxons
c : a first edition of a work also : a copy of this edition
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?