prey on/uponphrasal verb
preyed on/upon; preying on/upon; preys on/upon
Definition of prey on/upon
1 : to hunt and kill (something) for food The wolves prey on small animals.
2 : to hurt, cheat, or steal from (someone) criminals who prey on lonely elderly people
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game