presume on/uponphrasal verb
presumed on/upon; presuming on/upon; presumes on/upon
Definition of presume on/upon
: to expect too much from (a relationship) in a way that shows that one does not understand one's role in the relationship : to go beyond the proper limits of (a relationship) I don't want to presume on/upon our friendship by asking for too many favors.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game