press (someone or something) into serviceidiom
Definition of press (someone or something) into service
: to use (someone or something) for a particular job or purpose when a special need occurs Retired doctors and nurses were pressed into service to help care for the wounded. The backup computer was pressed into service when the main computer failed.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game