preside overphrasal verb
presided over; presiding over; presides over
Definition of preside over
1 : to be in charge of something (such as a meeting or organization) The vice president presided over the meeting. The Chief Justice presides over the Supreme Court. He has presided over the company for 15 years.
2 : to be in charge of a country, company, etc., during (a particular time or activity) She presided over a period of relative peace and prosperity.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game