preside overphrasal verb
presided over; presiding over; presides over
Definition of preside over
1 : to be in charge of something (such as a meeting or organization) The vice president presided over the meeting. The Chief Justice presides over the Supreme Court. He has presided over the company for 15 years.
2 : to be in charge of a country, company, etc., during (a particular time or activity) She presided over a period of relative peace and prosperity.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game