Definition of precombustion chamber
: an auxiliary space in which combustible gases are ignited and combustion started ahead of the main combustion chamber of a jet or gas engine The glow plug is an electrically operated device that protrudes into the precombustion chamber. When energized the glow plug tip heats to a dull red. The swirling, highly compressed air-fuel mixture is heated by the glow plug tip. — Auto Fundamentals
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game