variants: or less commonly preexposure prophylaxis
Definition of pre-exposure prophylaxis
: a preventive treatment for HIV infection in which antiretroviral drugs are taken by an uninfected person who is at a high risk of contracting HIV In some quarters, the idea that healthy gay men should take a medication to prevent infection—an approach called pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP—has met with hostility or indifference.— David Tuller —abbreviation PrEP
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game