Definition of prairie oyster
1 : a raw egg or egg yolk taken whole with seasoning, vinegar, and sometimes brandy especially as a pick-me-up
2 chiefly dialectal : a testis of a bull calf used as food — compare mountain oyster
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?