Definition of povertyweed
: any of various weedy plants growing especially on poor soils: such as
a : cowwheat
b : spurry
c : a troublesome aromatic weed (Iva axillaris) found especially in alkali regions of the western U.S.
f : any of several annual herbs of the genus Monolepis, family Chenopodiaceae especially : a weed (M. nuttalliana) of the western U.S. with fleshy stems, slender-petioled narrow leaves, and small flowers in clusters in the upper axils
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game