po·too | \ pōˈtü\
Definition of potoo
: any of a family (Nyctibiidae) of large, nocturnal, solitary birds that are native to tropical Central and South America and the West Indies, are related to the nightjars, and have variably-patterned gray, brown, and black plumage Potoos normally assume a motionless posture during the day, perched upright on horizontal branches or on top of a broken branch relying heavily on their cryptic coloration.— César Cestari et al., Wilson Journal of Ornithology, March 2011
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game