pot·man | \ ˈpätmən\
Definition of potman
1a : a servingman employed in a public house — compare potboy
b : a worker employed by a hotel or restaurant to wash pots and pans by hand
2 : a worker who reduces aluminum in a battery of reduction pots by an electrolytic process
3 : a chemical worker who dehydrates concentrated caustic solutions by boiling off excess water in cast-iron pots
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game